The R2E2 Mango retained its original name, derived from Row 2 Experiment 2 from the row and position in the field of the original tree at the DEEDI´s Bowen Research Station. It is a large, attractive mango with strong red blush, low fiber and excellent shelf life. R2E2 has gained wide acceptance throughout all mango-growing regions in Australia and is the third most popular variety grown, making it highly sought after and generally fetching higher prices on the domestic markets than other varieties.
With it's long shelf life, the R2E2 is sought after on the export market making it suitable for export by sea or air.
- Popularity: four star rating
- Brix: 14 - 17
- Taste: sweet
- Availability: late October to early November
- Colour: red
Storage Tips for Mangoes:
- Unripe mangoes should never be refrigerated
- Store them out of direct sunlight at room temperature for a few days until they ripen
- Once ripe, they can be stored in the fridge for 2 to 3 days before use
- Mangoes need to breathe - so never store in plastic bags
- Mangoes freeze really well. They can be sliced and bagged, or pureed and placed into ice cube trays.